Sunday, August 25, 2013

Stew or sauce starters

One thing that has helped me to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables into my family's diet, has been Bountiful Baskets.  Every other week, I pick up my basket that is 50/50.  For two baskets it is $31 and sometimes the co-op has extras that are great for canning or freezing.  I ended up with extra tomatoes, onions and bell peppers.  However, right now is a time when there is a lot of fresh produce from the farmer markets or gardens.  These starters are no canning required and can easily be finished in weekend.  Starter packets can be changed up to whatever you have on hand.  The packets I did contain roma tomatoes, onions, and green bell peppers. Keep it simply to 3-3-1; 3 tomatoes, 3 bell peppers, 1 onion.   If using plastic freezer bags, make sure all the bags are air tight.


No comments:

Post a Comment