Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Gluten...what?!!!

Imagine if you woke up tomorrow and someone told you that you couldn't eat your favorite food.  Would that food be a cheeseburger, pizza, or ham sandwich?  How hard is it try and avoid one little tiny grain protein? Really hard if you are new to the gluten free game.  I applaud those that have been GF for years before many GI doctors knew how (sometimes I think they still don't know how) to diagnosis this condition.  My road seems a little bit easy or rough than some that celiac has destroyed the small intestine.  While there have been many advances in CD not much is known why, how, who or what about it.  Unlike some, I had abnormal biopsies but my blood serum was only a few small (1-2) away from celiac.  Gluten intolerance doesn't have abnormal small bowel biopsies and therefore, fellow CD people with beginning celiac are left in the irritable bowel/gluten intolerance category.  Unlike a gluten intolerant friends, we still can't eat wheat products, never ever.  I may not get as sick as some but I still get sick.  Will I take another blood test?  I do not want to gluten load for 3-4 months when I know if I do not eat gluten I do not get sick.  Frankly, I like sleeping on my stomach, which is something I haven't been able to do in about 9 years.  While I can't point it out for sure, but I believe the stress of pregnancy is what started by road to celiac.  However, my grandma was a closet celiac at a time where it wasn't ever talked about because it was a rare condition.  This blog is for my benefit and to post some great recipes I come across or ones that I fix into the GF fashion.  I'm not doctor but just the gluten free nurse that now knows what it feels like to get the diagnosis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment